Samuels Elementary School is a full participant in the Denver Public Schools Choice System. For more information about SchoolChoice, please visit http://schoolchoice.dpsk12.org/
First Round SchoolChoice
SchoolChoice Round 1 for 2018-19 takes place Feb. 1-28, 2018
DPS believes all students should have the same access to quality schools, regardless of their background or where they live in Denver. That’s what SchoolChoice is all about.
Any DPS student who wants to attend a school other than their automatically assigned neighborhood school can take part in SchoolChoice.
Families submit one SchoolChoice form per student, on which they rank their students’ top five school preferences. DPS then matches students to schools based on those preferences, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The next SchoolChoice season takes place Feb. 1-28, 2018 for the 2018-19 school year.
Here’s how it works:
- Find: Learn more about schools in which you might be interested. Use the Great Schools Enrollment Guides, check out our new School Finder, tour individual schools and visit one or more regional school expos.
- Apply: Fill out the SchoolChoice application, including ranking your top five schools, when it becomes available on Feb. 1, 2018. See below for more information on a new online, mobile-friendly application tool. Submit your application by 4 p.m. Feb. 28, 2018.
- Register: Make sure to register with your school. Placement notifications will be sent in early April.
DPS is introducing an online, mobile-friendly tool which families will use to submit their SchoolChoice application. This new tool can be easily accessed from cell phone, tablet or computer. Because of this change to an online application process, lots of resources will be available for families, including: the SchoolChoice telephone hotline (720-423-3493); access to computer labs and technology support at their child’s school; one-on-one support from SchoolChoice staff; online information to help families use the new School Finder and SchoolChoice application tool; community events; and more!
All kindergarten through 12th-grade students are guaranteed a spot at their neighborhood boundary school. Students living within an enrollment zone are guaranteed a seat at one of the schools within the zone, not just at one particular school. To learn if you live in an enrollment zone, enter your address at School Finder.
There have been other exciting improvements to DPS’ SchoolChoice process, including the new School Finder search tool, the shift of the Choice window to February, and the introduction of a user-friendly online Choice application system. Here’s a rundown of important news:
- A reminder: the SchoolChloice window has been moved to February for the following school year. This year, Choice opens Feb. 1, and closes Feb. 28 at 4 p.m.
- We are now asking families to submit their SchoolChoice applications online using their computer or mobile device. Families just need an email address to get started, although using their Parent Portal log-in will improve their experience. Families can access the application at schoolchoice.dpsk12.org. We know this will be a big change for many of our families, so trained staff will be available to submit on behalf of families if necessary. Call the Choice hotline at 720-423-3493 for support.
- The School Finder is a great resource for families looking for their best-fit school. Please make sure your school website and School Finder profile are up-to-date. You may now upload photos to your profile! Click here for instructions on updating your School Finder profile. Contact Timothy_Walmer@dpsk12.org if you need assistance.
DPS School Expo Week Jan. 22-25
January is “recruiting month,” the time for school leaders to reach out to prospective students and their families. To make the process more convenient for you and DPS families, we’re holding five regional school expos rather than one, large district wide expo as we have in the past.
The expos will take place the week of Jan. 22, 2018. The expos are a great opportunity for you to promote your school as families prepare for SchoolChoice, which opens Feb. 1. Members of the SchoolChoice team, as well as other DPS departments, will be on hand at each expo to answer questions.
Here is the schedule:
- Northwest Expo, Jan. 22, 6-8 p.m. at North High School
- Southeast Expo, Jan. 23, 6-8 p.m. at George Washington High School
- Near Northeast Expo, Jan. 24, 6-8 p.m. at Manual High School
- Far Northeast Expo, Jan. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Evie Dennis Campus
- Southwest Expo, Jan. 25, 6-8 p.m. at Kepner Campus
DPS notifies families regarding your student’s school assignment early April.